Almost New Year and so many folks are going to get on the fitness kick, we want you to start and have a successful journey and not just a New Years resolution kick that ends in a few weeks.
For my birthday we went to a casino in Lake Charles and while play some poker met a really cool couple. The dealer at the table started taking about bulletproof coffee and my wife and I looked at each other and looked back at him and ask if he was doing a keto diet. He replied yes, he had started a couple of months ago and was telling us how he had lost about 20lbs and was excited. We started sharing our journey with him as well as the couple next to us, the husband said (if you had not mentioned you where fat I would have never thought you struggled with being over weight) I almost started to cry, inside I was doing a happy dance and for a biker that is huge. I got to share some tips with the dealer and the couple and I felt so good, then I hit a $500. winning hand and even felt better.
Coming back from our trip we stopped off in had late lunch with some friends and our friend Brandy shared she wanted help getting started on keto so this section is for her and anyone else starting out on keto.
FIRST STEP: Clean out refrigerator & pantry – Watch video at bottom by Thomas DeLauer he provides so great resources for a successful keto journey.
THE BEST FOODS FOR A LOW CARB OR KETO DIET
This simple list summarizes what to eat on a low carb diet / keto diet :
- Healthy fats like avocado and avocado oil, butter and coconut oil, olive oil,
- Leafy greens like lettuce, cabbage, spinach and kale
- Low carb vegetables that grow above ground, like zucchini, cauliflower and asparagus
- Meat like beef and pork (bacon lots of bacon)
- Poultry like chicken and turkey
- Seafood like fish and shellfish, salmon is a great source of good fats
- Full-fat dairy like cheese and heavy cream (try to avoid shredded cheeses, shred your own)
- Eggs lots of eggs (stock up)
- Sugar-free beverages like water, coffee and tea,
- Herbs & spices like basil, dill and cinnamon, get Himalayan Salt, limit garlic & onion
- Low carb condiments like mayo, hot sauce and mustard
Himalayan Salt, Why? One of the trickier aspects of the Ketogenic diet, especially to newbies, is understanding the importance of increasing salt consumption. As our body transitions from being a sugar burner to a fat burner, it reduces the amount of sodium stored in the body thus requiring more salt in our diet. Since keto excludes most convenient processed foods that are high in sodium, the amount of sodium consumed is naturally decreased as well. As a result, sodium levels often drop causing unpleasant side effects that can be easily avoided. Himalayan salt has minerals that your body will be missing so get your sodium & minerals all in one shot.
You can also enjoy these on a low carb keto diet in moderation:
- Low carb fruit like raspberries, strawberries, blue berries, and coconuts
- Nuts & seeds like almonds, macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds (limit peanuts)
- Sugar-free sweeteners like erythritol, monk fruit and stevia
- Low carb flours like almond flour, coconut flour and flax seed meal
The main difference between the low carb and keto diet is the macro-nutrient profile, but the types of foods you eat are mostly the same.
These are the basics, and it’s best to start simple – meat, eggs, fats, and veggies primarily. Once you have it down, you can experiment with extras like low carb/keto desserts or more advanced recipes, but it’s not necessary.
REMEMBER: you can do this, if I can you can. Let’s do it together…